Ten Questions to GSCASS──
The 10th Announcement Regarding the Open Letter on Liu Juhua’s Plagiarism Case
March 15, 2013
Exactly one year ago, on March 15, 2012, the Open Letter to the Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Social Sciences Regarding the Alleged Plagiarism Case of Its Graduate Ms. Liu Juhua
, signed by 240 scholars around the globe, was made public. Since then, nine monthly announcements have been published by the three websites who sponsored the open letter campaign, and these announcement have been sent, via email, to top graduate and journalism schools in the world, global news media, embassies in China, as well as Xinhua News Agency and GSCASS. However, as the institution which educated Liu Juhua and conferred the Master’s degree on her, GSCASS has been adopting the policy of ostrichism, completely ignoring the incident which has attracted the attention around the world.
Besides expressing our deep regret and indignation, we, the signees of the open letter, want to ask GSCASS the following ten questions:
1. Have you received the open letter and other supporting documents, which was sent to you last year via express delivery service?
2. Have you received our monthly announcements, which were sent to you via email, regarding the open letter?
3. Did you really mean it when you claimed that you would “earnestly implement” the “work program for preaching scientific ethics and academic integrity”?
4. Why does GSCASS refuse to comply with the state policy, “Approach on the Dissertation or Thesis Fraud”?
5. Why do you refuse to investigate Liu Juhua case?
6. What’s the real reason behind your ostrich policy?
7. Don’t you think that Liu Juhua did commit serious plagiarism in her Master’s degree thesis?
8. Don’t you think Liu Juhua case has severely tarnished the reputation of GSCASS?
9. Do you think GSCASS is worthy of the honor of “The stronghold of Marxism, the highest academic halls of philosophy and social sciences in China, the think tanks of the Central Committee of Communist Party of China and the State Council of China”?
10. Exactly who is responsible for the nonfeasance?
Even though we have waited for one year, we can, and we will, wait longer, until the case is properly handled.
It is hereby announced by: